Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Week #9 Thing #21

I looked at 3 podcast websites. The one I liked best was podcast.net. This was the easiest site to use because I didn't have to sign on, register, subscribe or download anything. I just clicked on whatever podcast I wanted and it came right up on the screen. Podcast.net has done an excellent job on subject categories. I selected a "How To" subject and all kinds of stuff came up. I listened to a podcast series called "How not to be dreadful" , You can listen to Bill and Amanda talk on and on about how not to be dreadful when you are clothes shopping or attending holiday parties or dining at a restaurant. Another podcast I listened to was "Fitness Attack". This is another series podcast and I listened to a 60 second recording of how to stay on your diet and still indulge in a Splenda Parfait. The simple recipe was given on the podcast. A very suspicious podcast entitled "Unorthodox Hacking : Hidden Windows Passwords" featured a video of a questionable looking character giving all kinds of instructions on how to get into the innards of a computer and fish out secret passwords, etc. My favorite podcast was "French for Beginners". This was a series of podcasts ( at least 20 lessons) that was better than Berlitz. Since I have an interest in brushing up on my French ,I found myself sitting at the computer listening, repeating and thinking that this was absolutely fantastic. I guess I will be visiting podcast.net very often from now on.

I did look at PodcastAlley.com , but as soon as I read that I had to subscribe and download a podcast aggregator (what is that?), I quickly left the site. Yahoo podcasts looked better. There was an interesting podcast series on childrens books. But then, they asked me to subscribe and fill out more log ins and passwords and I decided enough of that.

I think SJPL should have a video podcast to promote the Summer Reading Celebration.


1 comment:

Virtual Services Team said...

Great idea for SRC! Are you working on a script?

That's great you were able to get some of the podcasts to work; it sounds like you had a good time with them, too.